In today's world of go, go, go, we all need ways to relax and re-set. Coloring does just that, it calms the nerves, and provides adults and children with a healthy coping mechanism when needed. How does coloring soothe the soul? Read on to find out!
1. It re-focuses and distracts! When emotions feel intense, sometimes people need to refocus their attention on something positive and calming. Coloring does just that. When we are distracted and re-focused, we spend less time focusing on negativity, and more time calming down.
2. It's relaxing! Coloring requires little effort, and one doesn't need to be artistically talented to participate. Simply put, it's soothing and relaxing.
3. It's a healthy activity! There's nothing worse then hearing a child say they are bored! Furthermore, when children do not have structure or activities to participate in, they may be tempted to participate in dangerous activities and/or get into trouble. Coloring is a safe activity and outlet for children and adults alike, so how can that not be good for the soul?
4. It stimulates creativity! Creativity encourages self-expression, and may be defined as the use of imagination or original ideas. When one colors, they are determining color schemes, and using organizational skills. They are in charge of their final masterpiece and as a result, they get to soak up the good feelings associated with a proud accomplishment. Sounds like candy for the soul to me.
5. It encourages self-esteem and confidence! Art is subjective, and therefore every piece does not need to be perfect in order to be appreciated. The beauty of coloring is that one can turn a mistake into something desired, or simply start over if wanted instead. The more one colors, the stronger one's technique becomes, and the more self-esteem is built. Confidence, positive thinking and positive feelings may then fill the soul.
So if you are looking for a way to relax, de-escalate big emotions, stimulate creativity, or begin a new hobby, coloring may be the answer for you!